The Devil’s Messenger, Part 3, A True WWII Story

Walter Wilde, front left

Walter Wilde, front left

I’m not sure where this photo was taken. Probably much later than the story that is told here

The Devil’s Messenger was about my dad and one of his real life brushes with death. He truly had more than 9 lives. Here it continues:

The Devil’s Messenger, Part 3

by Terry Spear

Had the Ouija board truly been the cause of Walter’s misfortune? Bleeding and having trouble breathing, he struggled to keep his wits about him as the cockpit seemed to brighten, while the airman radioed his condition to the pilot. No one else had been injured on the mission.

“Have Wilde crawl up to the cockpit,” the pilot radioed back.

With dwindling strength, Walter crept up to the cockpit while the engines roared and the aircraft vibrated. When he could breathe the oxygen freely, he lay still. His arm ached from the wound and the shock to his system created the urge to relieve himself.

“Gotta go,” he said as the plane flew back to Snetterton Heath. As the antiaircraft fire ceased and the lead plane radioed the all-clear signal, the navigator pulled off his helmet, then looked at Walter. “Can’t you hold it? We’ll be home soon.”

“Can’t wait.” Walter squirmed on his side in agony.

The navigator handed his helmet to Walter. “All right, use my helmet, but don’t say I never did anything for you.”

Walter struggled to relieve himself, and as he finished, ME 109s tailed their aircraft, while the aircrew manned their guns. As the navigator jammed his helmet onto his head, he swore, “Damn!” as the urine trickled down his face. Walter chuckled under his breath.

After returning to base, two of the crew hurried to carry Walter out of the aircraft. For seven missions he’d served with the same crew, but while he recuperated in the hospital for his wounds and recovered for six weeks, all the crew members would lose their lives on the next mission as their plane went down. No survivors.

Walter’s injuries had prevented him from flying the mission that ended his crewmen’s lives. Had destroying the Ouija board, then saved his life?

Not normally suspicious, he still vowed never to touch another Ouija board the rest of his life.

But when he had to go on his thirteenth mission, his crew warned him that he was headed for bad luck.

It would prove to be his final mission in the war.



“Giving new meaning to the term alpha male where fantasy is reality.”

Connect with Terry Spear:





Wilde & Woolly Bears

8 thoughts on “The Devil’s Messenger, Part 3, A True WWII Story

  1. Great story Terry! I love your stories about your dad. He sounds like he was an amazing man.
    You and your hooks 🙂 I’m glad I read all three of your posts at once 🙂

    • LOL, Bonnie! I hate cliff hangers when I’m reading a story. I’m glad you enjoyed it. He was. I keep thinking I need to write a book about all his misadventures. I queried a teen magazine once, but they said that it really needed to be in a book. 🙂 But they started when he was about 3 years old.
      He was such an inspiration to me as a writer, would tell tales to us when we were little. No matter the life-threatening situation, he always had a sense of humor.

  2. You need to blog about the 13th mission. That was a great story. I was hooked and looking forward to the final installment here. Thanks for sharing. If you have more keep them coming. Fascinating things.

    • Thanks! I need to make it a collection of stories. Just all the near death defying situations. It would be hard to tell it any other way with the gaps in years between them. 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.